Monday, March 8, 2010

The Results

Jayla's room makeover is finished! Here are the results:

BEFORE....



And, AFTER....

Trust me, the bed is much prettier without that big old bed-rail on it, but gotta have that for now otherwise Jayla would roll right off the edge! The pink wall color was intended to match the pink butterfly on the picture, and it got pretty close. As for the bed/furniture, I used some pieces that we already had and tried to make them all match. My mom had that daybed at her house, and we decided to do a switcheroo and she took the extra twin bed that we had. My original plan was to paint the twin bed white, but when my mom offered the daybed I just couldn’t refuse because it looked much more ‘girly’. I had a daybed through all of my years growing up, so I thought it would be fun for Jayla to have one too! Anyways, going into it, I wasn’t sure how the black bed frame would look with the color scheme that I had picked out since I originally was thinking white furniture, but I am digging it! JJ had a black dresser in his room, so I switched a different dresser to his room, and tried to jazz up the black one a bit. I forgot to take a before picture of the dresser, but here is a picture I took while painting the edges and knobs on the drawers.


And, here is the dresser all finished....
Turned out cute!

I found some cute little glass butterflies that I put going up one wall...

The room still feels like it needs something……hmmmmm..….I think maybe what is missing is the accent pillows for the daybed? Not sure. However, the canopy is probably my favorite part of the room! So cozy and princess-like!

Here is a little video I took of the ‘reveal’ (the screen is black but if you click play it should work). JJ and Jayla were at my mom’s for about a day and a half, and on our drive home I had talked up the surprise and couldn’t wait for them to see. You will laugh when you see what Jayla does:


Yep, she pretty much didn’t even notice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Went straight for Elmo!!!!!!!! Gotta love it. At least my sweet JJ liked it (he is saying 'it's so pretty' in the video)!!!!!!!!

So, Saturday night Jayla got her first run of sleeping in her new bed, and she did great! It helped that we got home late so she was very tired and went right to sleep. The next morning JJ and I couldn’t wait for her to get up to see what she would do! We didn’t hear her over the monitor at her usual 7:15am wake up time, so we went in to check on her…..and she was still sound asleep.
Can you see her?

We eventually had to wake her up (which I don’t think I’ve ever had to do) because she was STILL snoozing and we needed to get going! I snapped a picture right when she got up so that I could remember it…


Looks like she slept pretty good!!!!

9 comments:

Spiegel's said...

Janel, I love the dresser!!! Good job!

Jon & Jennifer said...

Very cute!! Love the little canopy!! You need like a cute little girly saying on the wall or something.

Nate and Natalie said...

It's adorable, you did such a great job!

Jody said...

Love your labels Janel! I think you did a great job for being "uncrafty". :)

beauty queen's mama said...

ditto to jody on the 'uncrafty' part. looks great! she is so darn cute! so tiny in her big girl bed! :) way to go mamma!

Kendra Dawn said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!

Farmgirl Chaos said...

Job well done! It looks great. She'll appreciate it some day...when Elmo isn't her favorite thing.

Renee said...

very, very cute! - loved Jayla's reaction or non-reaction! couldn't wait to get home from work so i could leave a comment! i BELIEVE Maddie has those same butterflies? Kirklands??? :)

Janel said...

Yes, Kirklands! They were even on clearance when I was there! I wish I would have gotten a few more!