Friday, March 26, 2010

A Full Plate

Do you ever feel like there is a lot being demanded from you?

The other day I read this:

Mark 6:30-34
The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest." So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place. But many who saw them leaving recognized them and ran on foot from all the towns and got there ahead of them. When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.

My study guide gave further insight. It mentioned how Jesus had intended to take the disciples away for some time to rest since they had just returned from their mission of going village to village preaching about the kingdom of God and healing the sick. But these verses show that instead of finding some time alone, the crowds followed Jesus and the disciples. A verse in Luke gives further details of Jesus’ reaction to the crowds:

Luke 9: 11
But the crowds learned about it and followed him. He welcomed them and spoke to them about the Kingdom of God, and healed those who needed healing.

Then my study guide posed this thought: Instead of showing impatience at this interruption, Jesus welcomed the people and ministered to their needs. How do you see people who interrupt your schedule – as nuisances, or as the reason for your life and ministry?

Hmmmm……GOOD question! I was VERY challenged by this, and more so by Jesus’ response. I am slowly learning that when God puts people in your life who have needs that you can meet, then you meet them. Even when it isn’t convenient. Even when you would rather rest. Even when you don’t want to meet their needs anymore. About a day or so after I had read all of this in scripture, I also came across this excerpt from the book Jesus Calling:

Walk by faith, not by sight. As you take steps of faith, depending on Me, I will show you how much I can do for you. If you live your life too safely, you will never know the thrill of seeing Me work through you. When I gave you My spirit, I empowered you to live beyond your natural ability and strength. That's why it is so wrong to measure your energy level against the challenges ahead of you. The issue is not your strength but Mine, which is limitless. By walking close to Me, you can accomplish My purposes in My strength.

When I feel like there is a little too much on my plate, or too many needs to meet, or not enough time in the day, or when I am feeling stretched beyond all of my limits, I must remember that God does not ask me to go it alone. These exact moments are the best times for me to truly experience His strength and power!!

Phillipians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

Dillinger Family said...

I needed this today...Thanks!!

Toccara said...

What a constant reminder of our Need for family and love Christ....

I stumbled across your blog today and it was definately what i needed. A reality check and boost.
....
Thanks...

Toccara Ross
Iowa State Women's Basketball 06-09