Friday, October 9, 2009

Uncraftiness

When I told you the other day that I was going to attempt to make some table runners, did I mention that I don’t know how to sew? Uh, yeah, I am that uncrafty. So, what is a non-sewing, uncrafty person to do when attempting a crafty, sewing project? I am glad you asked. Have you ever heard of a

*

*

*

*

*

*

Glue gun?
Oh yeah, I’ve got your attention now. I bet you can’t wait to see how this one turns out! Well, here is what I did -

My supplies were:

Later on I added an iron and ironing board. I cut the fabric into approx 10 ft by 1.5 ft strips. Then I folded over the edges and hot glued ‘em so the fringe wouldn’t show (I think this is where a crafty person would sew). Here is a picture of what I mean:

I did that for each edge. Then I glued some ribbon on the ends:

Then I ironed out the edges and voila (is this really how you spell this word?)!


Not too shabby, yet certainly not without imperfections. And actually, even though I had a ruler, they are kind of un-measured if you know what I mean. I just sort of eye-balled it because I realized that measuring things makes me bored. It’s supposed to be pretty dark in there so I am hoping my uncraftiness won’t shine through too much. :) But, at any rate, I think they will do the trick to add in some color to the tables! Next week I’ll be able to share an actual picture of the runners on the tables over the white cloths….and how they looked in the big scale of the gym!

Also, if you are wondering about my second trip to the fabric store, let me just say -

one less kid + McDonald’s happy meal = one fantastic time at the fabric cutting counter

And, if you are wondering why I didn’t post the promised sneak peak at Project:Ghana this week, well, I decided that I didn’t want to spoil it for anyone coming tonight! And, c’mon, table runners are exciting aren’t they?!?!?! I can't wait to share about Project:Ghana next week so stay tuned!!!


5 comments:

Renee said...

yay for glue guns... back in the 'olden days' we had to sew because there were no glue guns! have a great time tonight... i know grandma lori is looking forward to it!

Jon & Jennifer said...

Haha...good for you!! Great job...what would have been easier from next time and less messy than hot glue...is hemming tape! Works wonders for heming fabric and drapes and whatever else! Have a great night!!

Nate and Natalie said...

Looks great! I can't sew either, super glue is also one of my crafty tools. Like Jennifer said, I use hemming tape all the time, super cheap and easy!

Michelle said...

They look GREAT!!! How exciting - can't wait to hear all about it!! Wish we could be there :(

Jody said...

I took 6 years of sewing with Mrs. Hessinus(ask your mom) and I still hate sewing. As I was reading this post the Proverbs 31 woman came to mind. Using the gifts God has given you to glorify Him.