Thursday, June 16, 2011

Jayla's First Dance Class

Jayla’s dance class started on Monday, and my-oh-my are the little girls adorable!!!!!! It took her the first night to get acclimated to watching the teacher and imitating what he did…..she was a lil spacey, very serious, and quite shy! But, by the second night she really let loose and I could tell she was much more relaxed and ready for fun! I took a load of pictures!!!!!!! First night……

Introductions............................................................

Flexibility and stretching...........................................................................


The guy in the purple shirt is the dance center founder, Robert Thomas. Jayla was pretty wary of him at first, so she stuck close to the girl helper, Teagan.

Bar work.........................................................................





The second night Jayla seemed much more warmed up to the studio and her teachers, she paid attention better, and I saw a lot of smiles instead of such serious looks on her face!


Working on 'butterfly fingers'.................................................
Mr. Thomas is REALLY animated, and I think that is what helped Jayla warm up to having a guy teacher. I wish I would have taken a video of some of the imagery he uses when teaching them the skills. He talks a lot about rainbows, tickling the sky, balloons, being bunny rabbits and kitty cats, etc. Every skill incorporates a game or some fun way to use their imaginations.


Trying to teach them to get up on their toes........................

There we go....................................................................

They got to be grizzly bears for this flexibility skill..........
One of her favorites is doing the marching and dancing single file around the bar.





When I signed Jayla up for the class, it didn’t even cross my mind to pick up tap shoes (duh!)….so we didn’t bring any the first night!!!! I felt so bad! Jayla said, “It’s ok mommy. You forgot my shoes. We’ll bring them next time.” So, we picked up a pair by night #2 and I think the tap dancing is probably going to be her favorite!!!!!!!!! She LOVES making all that noise! Here’s a video of some fun!

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Dillinger Family said...

ADORABLE! I cannot wait to get Tess into dance. I am sure Jayla just loves it.

Renee said...

ahhhh....the tap shoes...I remember well the tap...tap...tapping...all.the.time! Love it. Jayla is so cute!

Tyson said...

Those little ladies are so adorable! I remembered my daughter’s first day at her dance class. We were more nervous than her, and it almost made me cry. I hope Jayla will continue her ballet class, and become a great ballerina someday!

-Tyson Sieger