Thursday, June 2, 2011

Anniversary Chicago Style & Back to Reality

Earlier this week Jake and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary (May 30th) in Chicago!!!! WOOT WOOT! Who couldn’t use a little getaway?!?! From our traveling basketball tournaments we’ve racked up quite a load of Marriott rewards points, so we got to stay right on Michigan Ave….for free!


Jake is a city boy at heart. Always has been, always will be. He would live right up in one of those high rise apartments if his job would allow it!

I, however, feel a bit out of place in the big city. I wouldn’t say that I am your full-blooded country girl type, although I can appreciate a lil piece of land off a dirt road. More so, I just like to be where there is some wide, open space…..like near where the sand meets the water would be good. :) We did fit in a little beach time in Chicago, but being at a city beach had a completely different feel to it!

Jake and I are both people-watchers. Being in airports and other highly populated public places gives us full blown entertainment! This silver guy on Michigan Ave was fun to watch!

Things I learned in Chicago:

-The GPS does not work among tall buildings. Hence, you can get lost for at least 45 minutes trying to figure out one way streets and how to get out of underground tunnels.

-Pedestrians do not always wait for the walk signal.

-Ambulance and fire truck sirens = nighttime lullaby.

-I LOVE the feeling of walking the city at nighttime under all the lights.

-It takes talent to shop in the city, thus Jake wins the all-time award for most-patient-husband. :)

Jake and I had a great time getting to be together….just the two of us. ♥ It was a simple, easy, relaxing getaway, and we both needed it!!!! Once we returned home we were launched right back into real life! There was a birthday to be celebrated (21 candles on that puppy)!






Dunks to be perfected......................................................


Reading to work on.............................................................


kittens to drag around...................................................


and a beach day calling our names away from the housework that piled up while we were gone!!!!








Justice had never been to the beach in Ghana, so this was his first experience with sand. He has seen sandcastles on tv, so he was excited to start creating!









I’ll pick building sandcastles and picnics over unpacking and laundry any day! Thank you to my hubby for a wonderful anniversary! And thank you to my mom for taking the kids for a few days. It’s always fun to get away, but even better to come home refreshed and ready to get back on the roller coaster! :)


3 comments:

Mindy said...

Happy Anniversary!!
And how strong and healthy Justice is looking! So glad for that!

Lori said...

The picture of JJ dunking made me cry. I need a poster size of that. :D It is ALWAYS my pleasure to spend time with them. ♥

Christy said...

Happy Anniversary! And I just had to comment to say that I LOVE the picture of your 3 kiddos on the beach. Adorable!