Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Adventures in Potty Training - Part I

Potty training is an adventure. And, I wonder sometimes if all the potty training advice in the world would be better left at that. But instead we have all sorts of books and theories and methods and training dolls and training pants and pull-ups and potty chairs and millions of ideas to pick and choose from. It can get kind of crazy. And, the craziness has begun at our house with my second potty training subject….Miss Jayla. My first thought this week when I laid out all the ‘tools’ for our adventure was: How do they do it in Africa? They surely don’t have all this junk to help them, and yet they get it done. So, I asked Yaw. And, he didn’t know. Bummer. Guess I can’t do it the African way. So, armed with 2 packs of princess undies, an elmo potty chair insert, and animal stickers, we were ready to dive in. And, when I posted that our potty training adventure had begun as my status on facebook, I had a demand for more information on what I called the ‘Jen deBruin method’ which is my method of choice. So, as promised, I will soon be posting the run down of how we did it with JJ a few years ago, and how we are now going about it with Jayla….although I am certain that this method is not for everyone - it’s just what has worked for us. I am hoping to post it tomorrow, but may need more time to write it out. Until then, I’ll be busy teaching my princess that all princesses go pee and poop in the potty. Think she’s taking me seriously?

6 comments:

Nate and Natalie said...

Very interested in the method. Classic picture though.

Dillinger Family said...

She will LOVE that picture when she gets older. I envision it being posted on a picture board at her highschool graduation party :)

Jody said...

Looking at this picture, I think miss Jayla has her own time period.

Laura said...

I know in Haiti and Dominican Republic, we saw babies with no diapers and they would pee on the street or on the church floor....... I assume that when they are ready to use something else, they just do it. It was shocking when you are not used to it.

Kendra Dawn said...

LOVE THE PHOTO!!!!!

Tell Jayla, Jerzey is thinking about her during this time!

Hollie said...

Having just done this with Ty I will be thinking of you:) It went great but it is a little mentally exhausting for the first few days(at least it was for me)