Monday, February 23, 2009

Jake's Thought for the Week

Each Monday I will be posting Jake's thought for the week which he sends out to all the parents in his All Iowa Attack program.

It is great to be back in the United States as my trip to Africa was a great one, but it certainly made me appreciate all of the little things we take for granted each day.While in Africa I had the chance to spend a lot of time with the Right to Dream Academy and had the opportunity to watch them train many of the top soccer players in the world. Their top team, which was a mix of 14 and 15 year old boys, finished fifth in last year’s world championships. They were playing a local 17U club team while we were there. The game ended in a 3-3 tie and the local club team thought they had won the world championships!!

Following the game I asked RTD director Tom Vernon how his organization handled losses or bad games. Tom responded by saying, “Unlike most westernized standards we are not result oriented; we are outcome oriented.” He continued on to say, “Today was not our goal but instead our goal is what these kids will be like when they have an opportunity to move from our academy into college and/or professional soccer, and even into the real world. We teach them from the day they enter the academy that results will come and go and there will be many good days and many bad days. We teach that these are just the steps necessary to receive the reward, which is the outcome of all of those days mixed together. When you only strive for the result it is a rollercoaster ride and takes the enjoyment out of striving to be your best. When the outcome is what is important young people can accomplish great things.”

So, as we continue to compete in the state tournaments and begin to head to national tournaments in a little over a month, let's be sure to do our best to receive the results we all desire. We need to keep in mind that the outcome of what your son or daughter becomes is by far the most important thing to remain focused on.

I thought some of you may be interested in last week’s trip to Africa. While I was there I kept a journal of the experience and the different activities we did. I have attached the journal for everyone to take a look at as it was definitely a life changing experience.

This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something'
Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life

'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?

-Matthew West , The Motions-

No comments: